Monday, October 01, 2007

Bloggy Competition

Recently we've had someone away from work for a bit, so I've been working extra hours which has left me a bit tired and grumpy. Anyway, I've decided that because of that I deserve some craft booky goodness...and that's where you guys come in.

I've come up with a bit of a list of books I'd like to get (but unfortunately I can't get them all) so I'm looking for feedback on where best to spend my money. Either let me know which books are fantastic (or which one's you've heard are fantastic), which one's overlap a bit (and so I should only pick one), or any other books that you think I should add to my list. I'm aiming to get a bit of a range of crafts.

1. Books I'm almost definately going to get:

Bend-the-Rules Sewing: The Essential Guide to a Whole New Way to Sew by Amy Karol
I've heard really great things about this one.

2. Books I'd love to get:

Amigurumi!: Super Happy Crochet Cute by Elisabeth Doherty
They're very cute...but I've got an excess of soft toys at the moment. Although great gifts.

Sock and Glove: Creating Charming Softy Friends from Cast-Off Socks and Gloves by Miyako Kanamori
Again, lovely and cute.

Crochet Me: Designs to Fuel the Crochet Revolution by Kim Werker
Ok, so it's not actually out yet. That shouldn't stop comments should it?

A Crochet Stitch Dictionary
I didn't actually find anything specific, so suggestions of good ones would be really appreciated. I'd probably like something with a nice range, clear directions, inspiring pictures.

3. Books I'm not quite sure of (but that still look lovely):

Lotta Jansdotter's Simple Sewing: Patterns and How-To for 24 Fresh and Easy Projects by Lotta Jansdotter
I'm just not sure how many sewing books I should buy right now because I don't sew as often as I'd like to.

Sublime Stitching: Hundreds of Hip Embroidery Patterns and How-To (Spiral-bound) by Jenny Hart
I've got a few embroidery books and there are great resources on the internet for different stitches, so this would mainly be for patterns, although I've heard they're not as unique as the individual Sublime Stitching Patterns.

Plush-o-Rama: Curious Creatures for Immature Adults by Linda Kopp
Because now I'm on my third toy book. But still cute!

Best comments* will win a bookmark so leave a comment, along with your preferred bookmark and I'll probably draw it (and order books) next week, so you've got a little while to think about it.

*Best comment may be based on most useful, most funny or simply picked randomly.

2 comments:

librarylass said...

Firstly, awesome competition! I was having a look on my favourite online bookstore (www.fishpond.com.au - think Australian cheap Amazon) and found http://www.fishpond.com.au/Books/Home_Garden/Crafts_Hobbies/Needlework_Knitting/Knitting/product_info/1040580/
(Hope the link works)
Also, for the Sublime Stitching, I have that and the transfers are really good bases if you want to do something elaborate, or plan to do a simple embroidery.
Orange and red bookmark please!

Sharon said...

I vote Crochet Me, I know its not out yet but the designs that have been previewed on the crochetalong are drool worthy.

I too have sublime stitching and while it is ok the individual patterns are more unique, I agree with librarylass they do make good bases.

For a crochet stitch dictionary try the harmony guides 300 Crochet Stitches I love these stitch dictionaries, their knitting ones are brilliant too.

The crochet pattern book that has just planted itself at the top of my list after a perusal through it at borders (although there was no way I was paying $60 when fishpond has it for $34) is Teva Durham's Loop d Loop Crochet. Yes it did surprise me that I liked it given that I was not a fan of Loop d Loop Knitting. It has some really interesting but wearable patterns in it. There is a unisex Tunic style jumper, a really interesting pair of lace/fishnet socks, crochet gloves, a filet crochet pullover that is really elegant with a boatneck and orchid design. Ok so the patterns are probably not for everyone but I am in absolute lust with it, top of the christmas if you don't buy it for me I'll by it myself list :)